Mizzou News for Wednesday, July 28
The Good and Oh So Bad of Social Media
Social media was a bad, bad place the last couple days, y’all, whether it be the jackasses (I would prefer a far worse word but this is a family site) going after Simone Biles who can go **** right off, or criticizing Katie Ledecky for not winning a gold medal in an event she wasn’t even favored in, or not medaling in the 200— you try swimming that schedule and see how you do, or the softball team losing the gold medal game— I didn’t see a lot of criticism since that game was at like 3am but it just made me sad, or Naomi Osaka falling— don’t even get me started on her naysayers. Everywhere you turned, seemingly a new idiot appeared that enraged me (and many others) further. While we watch sports for entertainment, an athlete’s job is NOT to entertain us. It is important to remember this when we get an itchy Twitter finger; our unkind, harmful words could be damaging someone’s mental health.
So, in light of all the unpleasantness, when Mizzou fans were treated to not one, but SEVERAL Mizzou Hoops and Cuonzo Martin posts, it did help brighten things up significantly. It seems like maybe one of our coaches is rubbing off on the other in terms of a taking a more active social media role? The more the better, I say. Especially when you are someone with such a powerful voice, like Coach Martin.
KOBE LOOKS GOOD. DAMN. And Zo kinda dancing at the end is so goofy.
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) July 27, 2021
KEEP IT UP, FELLAS!
— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) July 26, 2021
OOOH, THAT’S GONNA LOOK GOOD!
— Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) July 27, 2021
Onto the Links! If you need me, I’ll be glued to the tv watching the Olympics for the foreseeable future.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate continued his game previews. Next up? Those Mizzou player-stealing Arkansas Razorbacks.
- Parker tells us the biggest impact freshman for Mizzou may be a diamond in the rough
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: The Knights of the Rock M Roundtable are back with a new Q&A, and Sam wrote about Jim Sterk’s uneven leadership.
- COMING UP: Kortay weaves a great tale about JJ Hester, and BK takes a deeper look at his favorite newcomer, Ryan Hoerstkamp.
Athletic Director News
- Vahe Gregorian asked what’s behind Sterk’s departure from Missouri, and said the answer may be hidden in plain view. This is very good. Read it.
- Dave Matter outlined some candidates in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, including members of “Alden’s Army” and some others, like Laird Veatch (Memphis) and Mark Ingram (UAB).
- STL Today’s Jeff Gordon said Mizzou’s new AD needs a “Coach Drink level of leadership” at the top. (may be for subscribers only)
- In a new Eye on the Tigers podcast, BenFred and Matter talk about Mizzou’s search for a new “upgraded” AD, and where the search may take them.
Conference Realignment News
- Seth Emerson of The Athletic ($$) wrote about how adding Oklahoma and Texas will boost the SEC’s profile, but we should prepare for the competitive consequences.
- Texas and Oklahoma have made it official. They are applying for SEC membership, and Paul Myerberg of USA Today has the scoop (via the Trib).
- Kellis Robinett of the KC Star looked at the Big 12 powers’ formal request for membership, writing that even though both schools have said they plan on remaining in the conference until their current deal expires after the 2024-25 academic year, most expect them to make the switch much sooner.
- Here’s the SEC’s official statement:
— Southeastern Conference (@SEC) July 27, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports/News
- Incoming freshman softballer, Maddie Snider, will compete on Saturday in the Premier Girls Fastpitch 2021 High School All-American Game according to Eric Blum of the Columbia Tribune.
- Huge congrats to Haley Troup, who was awarded a Mental Performance internship working with the amazing Dr. Scotta Morton.
- More locker rooms pics!
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) July 27, 2021
- Way to go, Sophia!
Back at it again! @Sophia_Yoemans cards an even-par 72 today to stay steady at (-3) in 2nd place.
— Mizzou Women’s Golf (@MUWomensGolf) July 28, 2021
- Looks like soccer will be back on the field next week! I love how Coach Golan’s team hashtag is #TakeTheStairs.
One week from today, we will know who has put in the work to be ready to compete right away! I cannot wait to begin this new chapter with @MizzouSoccer! @MollyPoletto @MIZCoachStoots @DizzyD2010 #TakeTheStairs
— Stefanie Kraay Golan (@MIZCoachGolan) July 27, 2021
Former Tiger News (AKA Karissa Corner)
- KARISSA RUNS THIS WEEK! Really early in the morning! She reminds us to have our coffee brewin’ since we’re going to need it…
Get your coffee ready ☕️ https://t.co/TLmt4xQPzj
— Karissa Schweizer (@KarissaSchweiz4) July 27, 2021
- Our favorite runner also went on the Citius Mag podcast, talking about Midwest summers and how they’ve prepared her for the sweltering conditions she’ll face in Japan. Check it out on Spotify!
Perks of growing up in the midwest: running in humidity is nothing new https://t.co/I60MNpbjpa
— Karissa Schweizer (@KarissaSchweiz4) July 27, 2021
- Karissa’s parents are ready to cheer her on. Check out this video from WWLP.
- Unrelated to our golden girl, but still awesome news— former Tiger Jonah Dubinski will be the new football coach at Battle!
Former Mizzou offensive lineman is the new head coach at Battle HS. Columbia native, former Rock Bridge HS player. https://t.co/PqNT5LdAI1
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 27, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)