Mizzou News for Friday, November 5
Talk about a B-E-A-T-D-O-W-N
In every sense of the word. That was a total shellacking, dear readers. Offensively AND defensively. The Tigers, in their final preseason game, taking on D-2 Southwest Baptist, were just… unstoppable. They started out hot, and just kept going. Missouri’s first four shots were all threes, all of which went in, and while their offense was stunted a little at first by the Bearcats’ zone, there was no real stoppage of the Tigers’ onslaught. In the first quarter alone, the Tigers were up 22-6 and had already forced 8 turnovers, and it just got better from there. They would force THIRTY turnovers in the game, to go with 18 steals. 10 of 11 players who saw the floor recorded at least one steal…. that’s absurd. And awesome.
Fun Thursday Night! On to the real thing! pic.twitter.com/EJh4KrrSrL
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) November 5, 2021
Once again, the Tigers were without the services of Skylah Travis, Jayla Kelly, and Da’Necia Trusty, who were not dressed out for the game, though it’s not like they were exactly needed. However, their energy on the bench was inspiring. Every Tiger who suited up scored, with the exception of Mama Dembele, who started, but was scoreless in 15 minutes of play. Haley Troup had a rough game offensively, only scoring 3 points on 1-7 shooting, but she did dish out a team-leading 8 assists, and actually had the highest +/- on the team at +40.
The Tigers were led in scoring by AB’s 21 points on 8-10 shooting (!!), including 2-2 from three. Our girl also had 10 rebounds, an assist, and SIX steals. Let that settle in, guys. She was ON FIRE. And that signature Aijha energy the whole game!??! THE ENERGY. Sigh, I love Aijha Blackwell.
3Q | 3⃣3⃣ doing 3⃣3⃣ things.
19p, 9r, 5stl for @AijhaAnniece!
Mizzou – 58
Southwest Baptist – 24 pic.twitter.com/ZJByO9SZxR
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) November 5, 2021
Also awesome? Starter Hayley Frank, who appears to have bulked up a bit in the offseason, had a cool 16 points on 6-9 shooting (4-6 from three), to go along with 4 rebounds, an assist, a block, and 2 steals. And Izzy Higginbottom, coming off the bench, in ONLY THE SECOND COLLEGE GAME OF HER CAREER, once again scored in double digits, with 16 points on 5-12 shooting (2-5 from three) with a rebound, 3 assists, and a steal in her 24 minutes.
LaDazhia Williams, sporting more of a knee sleeve than the bulky brace she wore last week, had a great game as well, scoring 13 points on 6-8 shooting with 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal in just 17 minutes. Truthfully, it seemed like she was out there longer, but perhaps it was just because she was so effective when out there.
To the box score, courtesy of StatBroadcast:
Rotation-wise, many lineups were tested out again, but LaDazhia was the first player off the bench this time, followed by — I think — Izzy and then Sara-Rose Smith. The Sisters Linthacum both were in before the half, and everyone seemed to get a decent chunk of playing time.
If you read my links yesterday, you’ll recall that I said to watch the turnovers, as we know that this is something that plagued the Tigers in years’ past. The Tigers did cough up the ball 9 times on Thursday, though most seemed to be of the unforced variety— errant passes with plenty of time to spare, a double-dribble, a travel, etc. Also, about half of those came in the first quarter alone, so the Tigers definitely settled in as the game went on.
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) November 5, 2021
A few other tidbits:
- It lovely to see Lisa Porter (AKA Porter Mom), the youngest girl Porter, Brad Loos, and a healthy contingent of the men’s team, including: Anton, Kobe, Big Jordan, Javon, Ronnie, DeJuan, and Trevon. Loving the support.
- My one nitpick? The lady sitting behind me that kept calling “Airball!” when the Bearcats would miss a shot. The problem? They were clearly clanking off the rim. Ma’am… that’s not an air ball.
- While Mizzou was killing it on the court, this writer was killing it at life, since ya girl snagged herself a free shirt in the t-shirt toss! Truthfully, a free shirt is a free shirt, but I do wish it was one of those HOME ones with the Missouri silhouette instead of an “O” like they throw to the crowd at the football games. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
On to the Links! Go Tigers!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Did Coach Cal overcompensate for last season’s disaster with this roster? Perhaps… but Sam’s got one last preview for you… the No. 1 Kentucky Wildcats.
- Matthew J Harris looked at pick n rolls, wondering who will keep Mizzou’s evolution alive. Super interesting.
- Mizzou Football goes “Squid Game” in its new uni reveal. Nate has some thoughts. I was terrified.
- Parker asked, “Really, just HOW poor is this run defense?”
- A new BTBS podcast is ready for your listening ears, and Nate & StL Radio Wunderkind, Brandon Kiley, are back to chat about that game this weekend, as well as offer some optimism about the defense’s future.
- COMING UP THIS WEEKEND: a new Pregamin, the last of the non-con previews: Iowa State, an aggregated SEC Preview featuring Matt & Sam, an updated SEC power rankings from Faller, a few things from BK, a Bottoms Up post, and so.much.more.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Dave Matter was back with a new chat, for subscribers only. In a special to the P-D, Max Baker said Elite recruiting is Mizzou’s best bet to close gap on SEC East powers. Matter also examined seven shining moments in Warren Powers’ Mizzou coaching career, and wrote about Bazelak’s questionable status for this weekend’s game. What do we think, y’all? Will Baze play this weekend? Let’s take a poll!
- Columbia Tribune: Chris Kwiecinksi looked at How former Georgia commit Luke Griffin is now the future of Mizzou’s offensive line. Eric was joined by Bulldogs beat reporter Marc Weiszer, who has covered Georgia athletics for the Athens Banner-Herald for nearly two decades, to chat about the Georgia game. Blum also laid out the Tigers’ latest bowl projections.
- Columbia Missourian: Calum McAndrew dove into the will-he-won’t-he question regarding Bazelak, and also covered the news of the suspension of Georgia’s sack leader, on allegations of rape.
- PowerMizzou: Gabe was back with a new edition of Opposition Research, where he talked with Anthony Dasher of UGASports.com. It’s available on YouTube or in podcast form. Rivals recruiting analyst, Matt Hamilton, examined Luther Burden in a new film room ($$).
- THE BROTHERS MEVIS! Both Harrison and his older brother, Andrew, who plays for Iowa, are semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award. We know in our heart of hearts, Tiger fans, who should prevail. More info at MUTigers.com
The 2021 Lou Groza Award semifinalists are here!
— Lou Groza Award (@LouGrozaAward) November 4, 2021
⭐️Lou Groza Semifinalist⭐️
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) November 4, 2021
- Miss the game Thursday night because you weren’t listening to it on the radio or weren’t at the arena? You can read Nate Marcus’ recap, or check out this one from MUTigers.com. Both are excellent.
- LOVE to see it.
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) November 4, 2021
- The KC Star’s Lila Bromberg broke down the men’s non-con schedule.
- The Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen wrote about the excitement among the men’s team as the season draws near.
- Check out a video of Cuonzo’s Thursday press conference, courtesy of ABC17’s Nathalie Jones! You can also read about it in a lengthy Q+A at PowerMizzou.
Be sure to check out the full press conference with Cuonzo Martin ahead of Mizzou’s season opener on Tuesday ⤵️https://t.co/brNfCOQlxu
— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieABC17) November 4, 2021
- Welcome, Adison!
After a long recruiting process, I am excited to announce my commitment to MIZZOU to further my academic and baseball career. I want to thank God, my family, coaches and teammates who have supported me over the years. I would also like to thank Coach Bieser for this opportunity! pic.twitter.com/RIodgTTbMJ
— Adison Worthman (@AdisonWorthman) November 4, 2021
From Perfect Game, who’s ranked him a 9 (“potential Top 10 round pick and/or highest level college prospect”):
Adison Worthman is a 2023 OF with a 6-2 235 lb. frame from Bloomington, IL who attends Bloomington. Extra big and strong athletic build. Very fast for his size and age, 6.40 sixty at the PG Junior National Showcase. Fundamentally sound actions in the outfield, makes extremely accurate throws and will throw out runners, left field profile. Right handed hitter, hits from a straight spread stance, wraps barrel in front of his body, hands driven swing, obvious strength in the barrel and big power potential, will continue to improve as a hitter with barrel position adjustments. Excellent student.
- Welcome, Claire!
— ✰ claire cahalan ✰ (@ClaireCahalan) November 4, 2021
Here’s some info on her from her club team, the Birmingham Thunderbolts. I tried to look up some additional info on Extra Innings, but it’s subscription only.
- Antonio Doyle, Jr. is leaving Texas A&M. Let it be known that Mookie Cooper’s mom would like to see him back in the black & gold. He was a one-time Mizzou commit under Barry Odom, after all. Maybe Drink can use some of that recruiting magic to bring him home.
- Hey, Parker! According to Dave Matter, Hoops had an unofficial visitor in town…
2023 4⭐️ guard Parker Friedrichsen visited Missouri today. https://t.co/eAdoyGX84Q
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 27, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- Three Cross Country runners have earned All-SEC recognition! Congrats to Marquette Wilhite, William Sinclair and Allison Newman! According to MUTigers.com, Wilhite finished 9th overall at Gans Creek, while the freshman Sinclair finished 13th overall. The true freshman, Newman, finished 70th of 135 and improving her 6k time by more than 30 seconds over three races! She earned All-Freshman Honors, whereas the other two were Second Team All-SEC.
- Check mate? According to the Missourian’s David Neumaier, grad student Grigory Oparin of the Mizzou Chess team won a national championship in the ‘blitz’ competition. According to the story,
Blitz chess allows only 3:02 for each move on the board, compared with an hour and a half plus 30 seconds per move in classical chess. The win was determined by score. He tied with three other competitors, but through a complex string of tiebreakers, he took first place.
- Swim & Dive previews this weekend’s tri-dual. Hear from Will Goodwin, Jack DuBois, Hayley Hill, and Allison Bloebaum on the matchup against Purdue and Michigan in West Lafayette.
— Mizzou Swim & Dive (@MizzouSwimDive) November 4, 2021
- Pitching coach Mitch Plassmeyer posted this cool thread on the twitter about the Tigers’ offseason development, as they are just ten weeks from the season kicking off. Be sure to click through the whole thing.
As fall season ends for @MizzouBaseball P’s — we turn our focus to offseason development!
We have ~10 weeks now before our players get back from winter break. How we use this time is CRUCIAL to raise the floor before the spring season
Here’s a quick on how we go about it… pic.twitter.com/Qdd2vazvSd
— Mitch Plassmeyer (@Mitch_Plazz40) November 5, 2021
- If you’re not busy Saturday, head over to the Tiger Performance Complex to check out gymnastics practice!
Who doesn’t love a sneak peak of what is to come in 2022 pic.twitter.com/cZYCZ0YZuV
— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) November 4, 2021
Mizzou in the Pros
- Vote for the Mayor of CoMo! Soph did quite well in her first EuroLeague game for basket Landes, and it’s time to vote for her as Week 5 MVP! Cast your vote at FIBA Basketball. As of Thursday night, Soph is in second place behind Jonquel Jones, 30% to 28%.
Lakeland Magic 2021-22 Roster: #23 Jeremiah Tilmon Jr pic.twitter.com/9sJQII3unc
— Lakeland Magic (@LakelandMagic) November 4, 2021
- Nick Bolton, we miss you, and also, CONGRATS!
— NFL (@NFL) November 4, 2021
- HAVE A NIGHT, JORDAN CLARKSON! After a truly abysmal shooting performance on Tuesday night, JC was awesome on Thursday night in the Jazz’s game against the Atlanta Hawks, even without the services of Donovan Mitchell. Read about the game from the Missourian’s Paul Newberry.
— Utah Jazz (@utahjazz) November 5, 2021
JORDAN CLARKSON COOKIN HAWKS AND SPIDA LOVES IT. pic.twitter.com/JMGuxVW9nM
— House of Highlights (@HoHighlights) November 5, 2021
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)