Mizzou News for Friday, August 20
Women’s Basketball Non-Conference Schedule Released
It’s here! The day after the men’s schedule release, the women’s schedule is here, and there are some TOUGH ones in there. Let’s take a closer look, shall we?
Everything you need to know about our 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule. #OurTownOurTeam
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) August 19, 2021
Overall, according to MUTigers.com, the Tigers will play five teams who made the NCAA Tournament last season, and 9/12 had a winning record (four won 20-plus games). They kick off the season with two exhibition games against Lindenwood (11-9) and Southwest Baptist (5-14), followed by games against Murray State (8th in Ohio Valley, 16-11) and Morgan State (2nd in MEAC North, 12-4).
The Tigers’ first away game will be against state rival, Saint Louis University, who finished last season 14-5 (3rd in Atlantic 10) and won two games in the WNIT, followed by two pretty tough home games against 2020-21 NCAAT teams, Idaho State (1st in Big Sky, 22-4), who lost to No. 4 seed Kentucky in the first round, and Troy (2nd in Sun Belt, 22-6), who lost to No. 2 seed Texas A&M in the first round.
Over Thanksgiving break, Mizzou will travel to Bethlehem, PA for the Christmas City Classic, where they’ll face Columbia University, who hasn’t played a game since the 2019-20 season (stupid Covid) when they placed 4th in the conference and were 17-10 overall, and another school yet to be determined (Rider or Lehigh, according to MUTigers.com).
Before heading out for a pretty terrifying two road game set, they’ll face SIUE at home (11th in Ohio Valley, 6-19 overall). Then, it’s off to Waco to face No. 5 ranked Baylor (first in Big 12, 28-3), who you last saw playing in the National Championship on March 29, and to No. 14 ranked Missouri State, who made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAAT before losing to No. 2 ranked Stanford (1st Missouri Valley, 23-3) in early December.
To finish out this year, the Tigers will face Alabama A&M (4th SWAC, 10-7) and Southern University (3rd SWAC, 12-11) before facing Illinois on the road to wrap up the non-con. The Illini are coming off a tough season, going 5-18 overall (2-16 in the Big 10, 13th place).
Who’s excited?!? AB’s got some moves!
Onto the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- In a new BTBS pod, the guys talked about Luther Burden, Drink tweeting, expectations for DRF in regards to football, and so much more. Have a listen!
- Kortay went to football practice!
- BK provided some insight into Blaze Alldredge, who is ready for the spotlight.
- Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was busy, writing about Keke Chism, who is poised for a stronger start in the Mizzou passing attack, and the Tigers’ most recent scrimmage, which was Connor Bazelak-less after being out with an illness.
- Matter also held his weekly chat and answered questions on all things football, including: the team’s RB strength, the importance of the Kentucky game, his impression of Steve Wilks, standout camp performers, and which non-con opponents he’d like to see in major sports.
- Mizzou commit Isaac Thompson is savoring his senior season at SLUH, according to the Post Dispatch’s David Kvidahl.
- Anxious to see some photos from practice? Check out Cheyenne Thurman’s photos at PowerMizzou.
- First Roar at the stadium!
— Eliah Drinkwitz (@CoachDrinkwitz) August 20, 2021
- KC-based company Let it Fly media has teamed up with Mizzou Football to do some cool ass videos. Check out these stills.
— Ryan Ortegon (@ROrtegon14) August 19, 2021
- Looks like the Tigers participated in their own version of the Olympics!
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) August 19, 2021
- The newbie intros continue! Next up— Ronnie DeGray III!
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) August 19, 2021
- Sean Durugordon, three point shooter? You really love to see it.
they don’t kno this side yet
— Sean Durugordon (@durugordon) August 18, 2021
- Robin Pingeton wants YOU, the class of 2025 (geez, that makes me feel old), to be in attendance at Mizzou Arena this season.
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) August 20, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- With only three returning starters, the Tribune’s Eric Blum wrote about how Mizzou volleyball coach is emphasizing teamwork with his newcomers.
- Speaking of volleyball, the black & gold match is this evening at 6pm at Hearnes. Read more info on the event and this season at MUTigers.com.
- Head coach Stefanie Golan’s regular season debut didn’t go quite as planned, as the Tiger soccer team lost to the Illini in their home opener, 4-0. Post-Dispatch intern Max Baker wrote a recap, as did the Missourian’s Anthony Kristensen. It was great to see the softball team supporting them, though!
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) August 20, 2021
Mizzou in the Pros
- Everyone’s favorite former wrestler, J’den Cox, has registered for the World Team Trials in the 92kg weight class for men’s freestyle. The trials will take place Sept. 11-12 in Lincoln, Nebraska, according to the Missourian Calum McAndrew.
- The Mercury, now 12-10 on the season, beat the Washington Mystics 77-64 on Thursday evening. In Sophie’s 24 minutes off the bench, she scored 8 points on 3-6 shooting (2-4 from three) with 4 rebounds, and 1 block (to go with 1 TO & 3 PF). She was a whopping +17 on the night!
- SOPH for THREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
- They may be amateurs but we’ll treat them like pros here! The Daniel Boone All-Stars took third place in the Little League Softball World Series. So much congrats to these girls for their tough play!
Watch: The @danielboonell All-Stars got a heroes welcome back to Columbia tonight after taking third place at the #LLSWS. Pretty cool to watch them get to do the MIZ-ZOU chant in person with the @MizzouSoftball team! pic.twitter.com/c1dcp9Qpno
— Andrew Kauffman (@AndrewABC17) August 20, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)