Mizzou Links for September 13, 2021.
I miss victory Mondays
Well y’all, I forgot how much Mondays stink when the stench of victory isn’t in the air.
We’re not going to get too in our feelings about the 35-28 loss to Kentucky this weekend. After all, as we’ll talk about during some of this week, Kentucky is clearly just the better team right now. They’re more experienced, they’ve got a more solid identity, they have more talent in key areas. They’re just… better.
It won’t be like that always (and hopefully not even into next season), but for now Missouri has to pick up the pieces and move on. There’s still plenty to play for, and a bowl bid is by no means off the table… especially with how vulnerable South Carolina and Tennessee are looking this early in the season.
Here are some of the major outlets’ Sunday coverage from the weekend.
- Dave Matter examined the snap counts at the St. Louis Post Dispatch while also pointing a finger at the run defense.
Oh, there’s also this from Twitter.
Here’s the story of Mizzou’s season through two weeks: Tyler Badie leads the nation in yards from scrimmage (196 per game) while the defense is last in the Power 5 in yards allowed & rushing yards allowed per game.
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) September 12, 2021
- Blair Kerkhoff posted his grade card from the loss to Kentucky at the Kansas City Star, including an A, a B and a D. I’ll let you guess which unit is which.
- Eric Blum asks how the loss to Kentucky changes (or doesn’t change) the outlook for the 2021 season.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam offers that a dose of reality isn’t the worst thing to experience for this team
- In which BK gives his 5 takeaways from the loss to Kentucky
- In which Kortay examines the defense’s role in the Lexington loss
- Mizzou Mondays in the links are BACK, BABY!
— Markus Golden only posted one total tackle in his return to the Arizona Cardinals, but he also recovered a fumble!
— Sheldon Richardson was also held at bay most of the day with Minnesota, only totaling one tackle against the Bengals.
— Weird day in Denver for our former Mizzou boys. Drew Lock is obviously no longer the starter and didn’t see any snaps against the Giants. Albert Okwuegbunam, however, caught 3 passes for 16 yards and a touchdown! There’s also the part where he lost a fumble, but we won’t dwell on that.
— In his debut for the Chargers, Larry Rountree III got 8 carries and gained 23 yards out of it, cementing himself as the primary backup to Austin Ekeler.
— Finally (and most important for some of y’all), our star boy Nick Bolton was all over the field in his debut with the Chiefs, tying the team high with 7 tackles and grabbing one TFL in a big win over the Browns.
Bolton beats his blocker and tackles Chubb for a loss pic.twitter.com/hNJlC0Q1Jo
— Represent Mizzou (@RepresentMizzou) September 12, 2021
- We’re still a few weeks away from a big date with Boston College, but they’re looking at potentially leaning on a back up QB after Phil Jurkovec injured his throwing wrist.
- Smooth like butta
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) September 12, 2021
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)