Mizzou News for Wednesday, July 21
It’s Wednesday, Tiger fans, and no, our fair Missouri Tigers have yet to take their place at the podium in Birmingham. But have no fear! There’s been plenty of interesting news and notes leading up to Drink & Co’s debut, including this interview with Tom Hart with KTRS’ The Big Show to kick things off.
Before heading down south, Drink and some of his players headed out to StL to check out the Cards-Cubs game, and our Fearless Football Leader threw out the ceremonial first pitch. How’d he do?
— KOMU 8 Sports (@KOMUsports) July 21, 2021
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) July 20, 2021
Tuesday also brought about an announcement regarding some rule changes. Nick Kelly (whose name you may recognize from his time as a Mizzou beat writer) of the Nashville Tennessean wrote about the changes, and Dave Matter shared a quick little thread about it as well:
New administrative procedure for 2021: If Team A believes Team B is feigning an injury, Team A can submit video to NCAA coord for officials for postgame analysis.
There’s no discipline measure in place, but feedback will be go to Team B’s AD, who can act accordingly
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) July 20, 2021
And with that unfortunate Delta variant still hanging around (and getting seemingly worse by the day), and due to the fact that four of the five least vaxxed states in the country have schools in the Southeastern Conference (UGH, dramatic sigh) SI’s Ross Dellenger shared some news regarding possible changes with testing, masking, etc.
Because of the variant surge, the SEC is preparing to rescind part of this policy, officials tell @SINow.
If approved, all unvaccinated players, even on teams with 85% rate, will be regularly tested this fall.
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) July 21, 2021
Onto the Links!
HUGE congrats to the Milwaukee Bucks on their championship. What a series, what a scene on the court, and what a performance by Giannis, who just seems like one of the nicest guys on a team full of really lovely people. Also, this is cool— a mid-MO connection!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate continued his game previews. Next up? The team coached by that a-hole, Dan Mullen. Dear readers, you got an edited version, as the original was filled with very… flowery language, haha.
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: The Knights of the Rock M Roundtable (a working title I just made up) are back for a new season, this time chatting about the depth at QB and RB.
- COMING UP: Check out the piece comparing new Mizzou RBs to former Tiger stars by new Rock M beat writer, Parker. It’s his first post! Leave lots of encouraging comments; he’s quite good.
- The defensive line is hoping to restore the roar of “D-Line Zou” according to the newest story from Eric Blum of the Columbia Tribune.
- If you’re local, you may be interested in the Meet the Tigers events that PowerMizzou is putting on at local restaurants next week. Sounds like a great way to meet some of the players, and perhaps this is a way for athletes to get some NIL money? I don’t think it’s spelled out, but I assumed as much, and this is a nice opportunity for them.
- The Athletic’s Seth Emerson wrote about the future of SEC football scheduling, which isn’t the top priority, but it’s an important one that must be addressed. (subscribers only)
- Drink has brought in a new – though perhaps familiar name – to be the Director of Athletic Development. Former Battle High School coach and two time All-Big 12 selection for the Tigers, Atiyyah Ellison, is joining the staff. You can read the official press release at MUTigers.com, or check out Eric Blum’s piece on it in the Trib.
- Some pics from Coach Fletcher (Or do we call him Aaron? WWDD?!? i.e. What would Deion do )
— Aaron Fletcher (@TheCoachFletch) July 21, 2021
- 247Sports has ranked the SEC media guides, and Mizzou comes in at NO. 2 on the list. It looks sharp, y’all. Take a look.
- High praise from a legendary Tiger, Markus Golden.
Watched some film of Trajan Jeffcoat ! He’s up next #DlineZou
— Markus Golden (@markusgolden) July 20, 2021
- Connor Bazelak has been named to the Davey O’Brien Watch List. What does STL Today’s BenFred think about the QB? (More info at MUTigers.com)
Connor Bazelak has been named to the @daveyobrien Watch List, one of 30 quarterbacks in the country, and one of six sophomore QBs.
— KTRS Sports (@BigSportsShow) July 20, 2021
- Big congrats to Sean Koetting on his acceptance to grad school!
— MizzouMade (@MizzouMade) July 20, 2021
- Former Tiger QB Blaine Gabbert visited the White House on Tuesday. Also of note, do I [shutters] like Tom Brady now? Ew.
— Benjamin Hochman (@hochman) July 20, 2021
- [Screams from mountaintops] I LOVE OUR COACH.
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) July 20, 2021
- BTS look at PHOTO DAY for Women’s Hoops!
Lights. Camera. Action.
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) July 20, 2021
- Love to hear this, DaJuan!
All WORK no BRAKES!!
— DaJuan Gordon (@Thatboyquaye) July 20, 2021
- Well, I just love to see this. Wishing nothing but the best in the future for one of my favorite former Tigers.
Former Reitz and University of Missouri standout Dru Smith confirms he is working out with the Sacramento Kings today. Great guy, selfless player.
— Gordon Engelhardt (@EngGordon) July 20, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- Okay, Riley!!
- This is awesome!
Love getting text messages in the summer from players & now former player @jessica_yuen_ Junior, @briannebolden fired a 2 under par round of 70 in the first round of the Women’s Western Amateur! Let’s Go @MUWomensGolf #TeeItUp #MIZ pic.twitter.com/nEpHzceI0y
— Coach Coop (@CoachCoop_) July 20, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)