Mizzou Links for Monday, March 8
Mizzou is playing in the postseason (but actually this time!)
For the first time since 2017, Missouri is playing meaningful postseason basketball.
You really should take a moment to let it sink in. While we’re more than a little disappointed with how the last month of games have gone, the Tigers are doing something they haven’t done that often in the past 10 years. In all likelihood, this team will be the highest-seeded Tiger squad since Frank Haith’s 2011-2012 No. 2 seed.
So take a moment. Concentrate on the positives. Meaningful basketball, March Madness, yada yada…
OK, are you in the right frame of mind? Good, because now it’s time to start worrying. Yay!
The Tigers (obviously) dropped their season-ending date with LSU, with offensive inconsistency and Cameron Thomas’ excellence playing big roles. The loss dropped Missouri to the No. 7 seed in this week’s SEC Tournament, but that may not be the worst thing.
Full SEC men’s hoops bracket.
(Note, Vandy is 12, A&M is 13) pic.twitter.com/VZ31NTZs0a
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) March 7, 2021
All in all, that’s not a horrible bracket for the Tigers. Yes, they’d have Arkansas waiting in the quarters if they can pass through Georgia, and the Razorbacks are one of the hottest teams in the country. But the Tigers railroaded Arky in Fayetteville, and the Hogs needed overtime to get past Missouri without Jeremiah Tilmon. Then, assuming LSU chalks through Ole Miss/South Carolina, Mizzou will have another shot at beating an LSU team that is good, but not invincible. In any case, a win likely cements the Tigers as a 7 seed at worst, and more wins could vault them back into the range of a 5 (if they win enough).
The Tigers, while disappointed about Saturday’s loss, seem to understand that what’s coming is a whole different animal.
“We would have loved to win this game on senior day, but we have to forget about it,” Mizzou senior guard Dru Smith said Saturday. “We have a whole new season coming up. We’ve got to lock in and understand when we come to practice Monday we’re working toward something again.”
Meanwhile, the Tigers have been getting some help across the country. After Oregon won the regular season Pac-12 title last night, the Tigers now have wins over four conference winners: SEC (Alabama); Pac 12 (Oregon); AAC (Wichita State); and Atlantic Sun (Liberty).
— GoDucks (@GoDucks) March 8, 2021
Some conference tournament success for some of these teams would further boost Missouri’s resume and keep them away from that dreaded 8/9 game.
Yesterday at Rock M
- At PowerMizzou, Mitchell Forde wrote about Mizzou running back Tyler Badie, who is out to prove he can be the Tigers’ full-time feature back in his senior season.
- Two members of Mizzou’s Cross Country teams qualified for NCAA Cross Country Championships over the weekend. Surprisingly (or maybe not so much, if someone out there knows about XC, correct me), both are British transplants.
- Mizzou Softball played in a double-header of blowouts, though they didn’t come out on the winning end both times. The Tigers run-ruled Louisiana-Monroe 20-0 before falling 11-0 to No. 1 Oklahoma. Larissa Anderson’s Tigers are now 15-3 on the season.
- Things aren’t getting any better for Steve Bieser’s Tigers, who dropped to 3-9 on the season after a loss to Arizona on Sunday. The Tigers have let up 7 or more runs in 10 of their 12 games this year.
- Here’s a fun reminder from Lucas Vincent to start your week…
PSA: please do not wear Mizzou gear into public if you do not know how to properly respond to “M-I-Z!”. It’s embarrassing for both of us.
— Lucas Vincent (@CoachVincent96) March 6, 2021
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)