Mizzou Links for Monday, May 3
NFL GMs, coaches excited about Mizzou Tigers, and we can’t blame them!
This past weekend was #good for the Mizzou brand, as the Tigers put five new players in the NFL by the way of the draft. As BK (and many others) pointed out yesterday, it’s the most prolific draft for Mizzou since 2015.
#Mizzou’s largest NFL Draft class since ‘15:
– Bolton was MU’s first top 100 LB since Gooden.
– Gillespie & Bledsoe were first MU safeties selected since Willy Mo.
– Borom is MU’s 5th OL selected since ‘14.
– Rountree is MU’s highest RB picked since ‘05. https://t.co/4IaCJRRVWH
— Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) May 2, 2021
By all accounts — though this is likely heavily biased coach/GM speak — the teams that drafted these former Mizzou stars seem pretty happy about their choices. The Kansas City Star put together a helpful collection of pull quotes from the drafting teams of Mizzou alumni. A few standouts are below, but feel free to visit the story to see the rest.
Here’s Raiders GM Mike Mayock on Tyree Gillespie.
“Going into today, we had no intention of trying to get Tyree Gillespie. But at a certain point he stood out like a sore thumb on our draft board. It wasn’t about need. It was about what we thought was a really good football player available much longer than we thought he’d be available
I have to say, I didn’t think any teams would have Gillespie that high on their board, but hey! At least someone sees the value being a Tiger brings to the NFL!
Sticking with the AFC West, Chargers’ GM Tom Telesco had some high praise for Larry Rountree III, who he said was a favorite of the Chargers’ scout team.
“This is one the scouts liked a lot. Played very well in the Senior Bowl. A lot of production at Missouri. Built well, strong, good body type, very good pass protector, catches the ball out of the backfield, and ran for a lot of yards.”
For some bonus content, Blair Kerkhoff collected a quote from the Vikings’ brass on their fifth-round pick, Central Missouri’s Zach Davidson, who participated in Mizzou’s pro day.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou Softball was an inning away from taking a series from No. 3 Florida but couldn’t hold their lead in the seventh, dropping the rubber match 3-2.
- 3-2 losses on the diamond were going around for Mizzou on Sunday — the baseball team also lost their Sunday game to Alabama by the same score.
- So you’re telling me Max Scherzer went out and kicked ass on the baseball field? No way!
️ PUT A COMPLETE-GAME #CURLYW IN THE BOOKS!
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) May 2, 2021
Nine innings, nine strikeouts, five hits and zero walks is stupid.
- C’mon, Jordan Clarkson, that man has a family…
- What would it look like for Kobe Brown to take another step up in his junior season? He’s working to make sure we find out!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)