Mizzou Links for Thursday, July 9
Here are some COVID-19 updates from Mizzou…
Mizzou Athletics announced on Wednesday afternoon the latest COVID-19 test results from the athletic department. Of the 377 that were tested, only 10 were positive.
— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) July 8, 2020
The testing involved players, coaches, and staff members, and Dave Matter reported that nine of the 10 that have been tested positive are athletes, but none of them have been hospitalized.
All things considered, that seems to be pretty decent news around the athletic program.
“As athletics is expected to operate consistent with campus policies, it will not be possible for Ivy League teams to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition prior to the end of the fall semester.”
So….what does this exactly mean for the FBS this upcoming season? Just don’t expect this to impact FBS and Power Five’s decision making, as Brett McMurphy explained:
Ivy League cancels all of fall sports. It could determine at later date whether football will be played in spring or not until fall 2021. 1st reported by @JonRothstein. Don’t expect FBS to necessarily make same call, sources told @Stadium. “Ivies aren’t as vulnerable financially”
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) July 8, 2020
However, let’s remember that the Ivy League was the first domino to fall back in March when they became the first league to cancel their conference tournament. The latest developments for this college football season just haven’t been all that great, and there is going to be some very difficult decisions to be made here fairly soon.
All I got to say is, wear a mask, people. It’s not that hard.
Onto the links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Eli Drinkwitz’s debut season comes down to these four games, writes Brandon Kiley
- ($$) From Mitchell Forde, Mizzou has entered the mix for four-star 2022 guard Derrian Ford
- ($$) Here’s the latest edition of Gabe DeArmond’s Macadoodle’s Mailbag
- Tip-sheet from Jeff Gordon..College football season looking more and more doubtful every day
- From Souichi Terada, Mizzou athletics COVID-19 update: 10 total positives since testing started
- From Tennessee beat writer David Ubben, ($$) The Ivy League forgoing fall sports won’t mean much for the Power 5
- Bennett Durando has a very cool feature story on Mizzou Softball head coach Larissa Anderson
(Columbia Daily Tribune)
- From Eric Blum, Mizzou athletics reports 10 positive COVID-19 tests
- Former Rock M Nation writer Tramel Raggs caught up with Cuonzo Martin. Tune into a very good interview here.
Spoke with Mizzou Basketball coach Cuonzo Martin (@CuonzoMartin) about watching the video of George Floyd’s death, scheduling a controversial series w/ Liberty University, coronavirus and the frustration of racial inequality.
— Tramel Raggs (@Raggs_No_Riches) July 8, 2020
- Dr. SEC has some positive thought’s on Drinkwitz’s recruiting….and stay tuned for another commitment REAL soon here…
The recruiting job @CoachDrinkwitz is doing at Mizzou is phenomenal. Most Recruiting services take into consideration pro-potential, so a guy without ideal height can be overlooked. That 3-star can be a 4-star at NCAA level. MU 2021 class might be best group of 3-stars in nation. pic.twitter.com/hvp0B8Oe3a
— Dr. SEC (@thedrsec) July 8, 2020
- Mizzou has released COVID-19 information for international students
.@umsystem and #Mizzou leadership released a statement regarding the guidelines for international students with F-1 visas. This rule does not apply to students enrolled at Mizzou for the upcoming school year. https://t.co/4UWCAfjefv pic.twitter.com/KabZpA8Gcx
— Mizzou (@Mizzou) July 8, 2020
- Purdue’s Rivals site says that a ten-game, Big Ten only schedule seems likely for 2020
- Perhaps not surprising, but Northwestern has announced that their November 7th game against Wisconsin will not happen (at Wrigley Field)
- Stanford has announced that they are cutting ELEVEN sports from their athletic program. Wow.
Stanford University announced Wednesday the reduction of varsity athletics programs and staffing. https://t.co/hvZWxzEMRM
— Stanford Athletics (@GoStanford) July 8, 2020
- The Chiefs have announced that Arrowhead Stadium will have reduced capacity this season
Under guidance from local authorities and the CDC, Arrowhead Stadium will have a reduced-capacity this year.
— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) July 8, 2020
- The 2020 Show-Me State Games in COMO have been cancelled
- Here are the latest wallpapers for your phone from Mizzou Football!
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) July 8, 2020
- Be sure to vote for the Mizzou Pix Photo of the Year, this time between Mizzou Volleyball and Football
It’s the final matchup in the Jiffy Lube Region of the @MizzouPix Photo of the Year Bracket.
— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) July 8, 2020
- Mizzou Softball will be holding a golf tournament at the Al Gustin Golf Course on September 11th. Registration and more information here.
Excited by Monday’s news? Now is your chance to support!
The #Mizzou Softball golf tournament fundraiser is coming up in September! We hope to see you there!
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) July 8, 2020
- Mizzou Women’s Basketball is also holding a golf tournament, September 21st at The Club at Old Hawthorne
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) July 8, 2020
- A big performance from Mizzou Baseball’s Luke Mann at the CarShield Collegiate League in O,Fallon, MO.
Up next: Falcons (2-1) Hoots (2-2)
— CarShield Collegiate League (@CarShieldCL) July 9, 2020
- Ohio State and North Carolina have become the latest schools to pause all voluntary workouts. Not ideal!
Ohio State announces they have paused all voluntary workouts on campus following the results of its most recent COVID-19 testing of student-athletes. Follows UNC earlier today.
— Bryan Fischer (@BryanDFischer) July 8, 2020
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now! (** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)