Mizzou News for Wednesday, March 31
Mizzou’s game against kansas started out well enough and they were chugging along. Lukas Veinbergs pitched four scoreless innings, allowing only two hits and striking out five.
.@LukasVeinbergs, ladies and gentlemen‼️
— Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) March 30, 2021
They scored two in the third off a single by senior Mark Vierling, added on three more in the fourth on a homer by Luke Mann and an RBI by Dalton McNamara (his first), and another two in the fifth on some good baserunning by Brandt Belk and Andrew Keefer. In the seventh, they added two more on hits by Mann and Cameron Swanger. Everything was going great, and the Tigers were up 9-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh.
This happened…. Or basically this, anyway. The Jayhawks came up to bat and promptly scored eight runs. EIGHT RUNS. SIX of which came with two outs. YIKES. I don’t even know how it happened, but it did, and it was B-A-D.
The Tigers got the tying run to second base in the last inning, but a double play sealed the deal. The Border War rivalry was renewed… and got off to a disappointing start. And the Tigers’ unnerving season continued.
From Head Coach Steve Bieser, according to MUTigers.com:
“When you think you’ve got the ballgame in hand and things are rolling your way, all of the sudden you give up eight runs in one inning. It’s just unacceptable and we just have to continue to work. Nobody is going to feel sorry for us.”
That is true. It really is just not okay, and they HAVE to be better. This was a winnable game, as Kortay pointed out in his preview.
Next up for the Tigers is A&M, and our resident baseball writer Kortay (or so he’s become now) will have a preview for you later in the week!
On to the Links!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Matt Harris covered the breaking news that Ed Chang is transferring. Ed, we hardly knew ye. But really, we didn’t know you AT ALL.
- Matt Harris and Sam Snelling reunited for a new Dive Cuts, where they waded into the scalding hot waters of the transfer portal. Give it a listen. I enjoyed it.
- Kortay previewed the kansas game. If you’re wondering how it went, read above.
- In BK’s recruiting reset, he told us that Armand Membou checks all the boxes of a prototypical Eli Drinkwitz offensive line prospect.
- COMING UP: “Transfer Week” of player reviews continues, and next up on the list is Parker Braun. I’ve also got a bracket challenge update!
- Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote that 2021’s “Transfermania” puts Cuonzo Martin in a perfect place to reset his roster at a critical point.
- Dave Matter’s chat at STL Today came early. Check it out at your own risk.
- Kellis Robinett of the KC Star talked with new K State commit, Mark Smith, on his decision. Smith cited his great relationship with the staff, who has recruited him three separate times, as the reason for wanting to go there. He also mentioned this: “Coach Weber talked to Coach (Cuonzo Martin) about everything,” Smith said. “It was a very smooth process, and I think I made the best decision.”
- ED CHANG TRANSFER/ MARK SMITH KSU NEWS: Eric Blum (Columbia Tribune). Dave Matter (St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Tyler Hollins (Columbia Missourian).
Other Mizzou Sports
- Softball came up big with a win over SLU, 10-4. You can read the Missourian staff’s recap here, or check out this one at MUTigers.com.
FINAL: No. 17 #Mizzou 10-4 SLU
After a slow start, the Tigers come back to get the win.
— Anthony Kristensen (@AMFKristensen) March 30, 2021
- For the third time in his collegiate career and the second time this spring, Ross Steelman recorded a top-five finish for Missouri men’s golf. His finish, according to the Missourian’s Calum McAndrew, propelled the Tigers to their best finish in an event since Sept. 2019. You can also read a recap from MUTigers.com.
- Men’s Outdoor Track comes in at No. 23 in the first U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) rankings of the season.
— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) March 29, 2021
- Women’s Track has signed a new hurdler. Welcome, Isabella!
— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) March 29, 2021
- Bronte and Marta have moved up in the National Doubles rankings after coming in at 76th last week. Good work, ladies!
— Mizzou Tennis (@MizzouTennis) March 30, 2021
- And finally, Gymnastics’ NCAA Championships quest continues in the second (regional) round, which will air on ESPN3 on April 2.
Mizzou in the Pros
- MARKUS! Re-signed!
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) March 30, 2021
- Eric Blum of the Columbia Tribune provided a list of five former Tigers to keep an eye on as the new Major League Baseball gets kicked off.
- Michael Porter, Jr had quite the game on Tuesday night, helping the Nuggets beat the 76ers, 104-95. It did get a bit dicey in the fourth quarter as Denver allowed the Sixers to get wayyyyy too close, but it was a win regardless, which makes them 12-3 in their last 15— best in the NBA.
In his 36 minutes (second highest on the team), he scored 27 points on 11-16 shooting (5-7 from three), with 12 rebounds and four assists. That’ll do, Mike. That’ll do! According to Mike Singer of the DP on twitter about his performance (and couldn’t resist the reply):
- Jordan Clarkson continued his disappointing March, so here’s hoping that since the month is ending, his slump will go with it. In the Jazz’s 114-75 win over the Cavs on Monday, Clarkson scored nine points on 3-14 shooting (1-7 from three) in his 19 minutes of play.
- Jontay Porter did not play in the Grizzlies’ 120-110 win over the Rockets on Monday night. Next up for the Grizz and Jazz is a matchup against one another tonight at 7. Let’s hope for playing time for Tay and better shooting for JC, huh?
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)