Mizzou Links for June 28, 2021.
Karissa Schweizer, Olympian… x2!
It’s not the big story of the day from Sunday, but it’s the story of the weekend in our hearts. Our dearly beloved GOAT, Karissa Schweizer, is now an Olympian twice over after qualifying for a second race in consecutive weekends. And as if being a two-time qualifier isn’t cool enough, the feat placed Karissa Schweizer in rarified air.
Missouri track and field alumna Karissa Schweizer qualified Saturday for her second event in the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, finishing second in the 10,000-meter run at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Eugene, Oregon.
Schweizer becomes just the fifth American woman to qualify for both the 5,000- and 10,000-meter races in the same Olympics.
Just like the 5,000-meter run, Schweizer qualified by finishing second, this time to St. Louis native Emily Sisson.
While qualifying for two events sounds incredible, apparently there’s some doubt as to whether or not Schweizer will run both events in Japan.
Asked if she’ll indeed run both races in Tokyo later this summer, Schweizer said, “I’ll have to ask Jerry,” referring to Jerry Schumacher, her coach at Bowerman Track Club. “I hope so.”
It would rule to watch Schweizer compete twice in Tokyo, but if her chances are better at medaling in one or the other, maybe she’ll need the extra energy/training? Either way, we’ll be behind her.
Similarly, imagine being one of five people in a country’s history to do something. That’s pretty nuts.
Yesterday at Rock M
- In which Sam investigates the 2022 basketball recruiting class through the lens of some very interesting, very local, very recent scholarship offers
- Aidan Shaw, possibly Mizzou Hoops’ biggest target in the 2022 class, has announced his intentions to attend Link Academy in Branson, Mo., for this upcoming school year.
- In the midst of Pride Month, Anthony Kristensen at the Missourian spoke with Michael Sam about his legacy as one of the LGBTQ community’s athletes of the past 10 years. Sam also discussed Carl Nassib’s coming out, how accepting professional sports environments are these days and why athletes would still be hesitant to come out.
- Between re-recruiting last year’s super regionals hosting team, it appears Mizzou Softball’s coaches are out scouting for fresh talent in the Rockies.
Guess who’s on the hunt for future Tigers in CO……?
— Michaela Transue, M.S. (@MichaelaTransue) June 27, 2021
- Marquis Gracial has been taking visits to other campuses lately, but it appears he knows exactly where home is based on his most recent trip to Columbia.
- The Phoenix Mercury moved to 7-7 on the season, even without the statistical contributions of Sophie Cunningham, who didn’t score in 11 minutes off the bench.
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)