Mizzou News for Friday, May 28
IT’S GAME DAY!!!!
It’s a big weekend, y’all… who’s excited?!?!?
This is how excited I am for the games this weekend. And how I firmly intend to be cheering from my camp chair with a Logboat Snapper in hand.
Did you get tickets? If not, that truly sucks for you, because – for the first time in many years – the Tigers will be playing in a COMPLETELY SOLD OUT STADIUM. I’m actually wondering if the stadium has sold out since they moved to the new one. This could be a first!
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 27, 2021
To wish the Tigers luck, both Women’s Hoops and Coach Drink sent the team some sweet treats. The team very much appreciated their kindness.
— caykess (@caylakessinger) May 27, 2021
I also very much appreciated the lettering on the sign from Robin Pingeton’s squad, as a lettering aficionado myself.
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) May 27, 2021
And cookies are always just a good choice. Side note: I finally figured out where this place was Thursday.
— casidy chaumont (@casidychaumont) May 27, 2021
On to the Links! For a more detailed preview, be sure to check out my post later on today to get yourself some knowledge about our opponent.
Let’s go, Tigers! #Ownit
–Love, Your Number 1 Softball Fan Site, Rock M Nation
Yesterday at Rock M
- Sam wrapped up the women’s hoops season with a year-end Study Hall. I don’t know about you all, but I’ve missed the hoops analysis, so this was very welcome.
- The BTBS podcast returned, and BK & Nate talk roster management!
- COMING UP: Your friendly softball writer, Karen — hey, that’s me!— will be with you all weekend attending the series, live-tweeting, recapping the games, and attending the post game pressers. Oh, and I’ll preview the series, too. (you’re welcome)
I’m giving it top billing in the links today considering what’s coming.
- Eric Blum conducted a Q&A with JMU softball coach Loren LaPorte, who talked about the Mizzou showdown and her own battles against Larissa Anderson. MUST READ.
- Anthony Kristensen wrote about Missouri softball hosting a well-prepared James Madison squad with a College World Series berth on the line. From Anderson: “James Madison that mid-major mentality, and that mid-major mentality is to go show the power fives that they can play ball, so they have that added chip on their shoulder.”
- Blair Kerkhoff told us, if Mizzou is pitching like it did last weekend, it’s time to book your ticket to the Women’s College World Series.
- Anthony Kristensen wrote about the confidence of both fan bases going into this weekend, having talked with both Missouri and JMU fans.
- WE HAVE GAME TIMES! And TV info for the first three games, anyway. You can read about it at the KC Star from Blair Kerkhoff or MUTigers.com.
Games times & TV info announced for Central Michigan, Kentucky and SEMO
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) May 27, 2021
- Here’s part two of the Athlon Sports Preseason All-SEC teams!
Part ✌️@AthlonSports Preseason All-SEC Teams
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) May 28, 2021
- Looks like rookie DB Tyler Hibbler has arrived in our fair city. Welcome home, Tyler!
573… I’m hereeeeeeeee
— Tyler Hibbler (@t_hibb2x) May 27, 2021
- GP made a radio appearance on 550 KTRS’ Big Sports Show. Have a listen!
— The Big 550 KTRS (@550KTRS) May 27, 2021
- Matter was back with a new chat for STL Today, answering readers’ questions about football — such as, do we have an WR depth, hoops, and diamond sports. Check it out.
- On the new KC SportsBeat podcast, Vahe Gregorian and Jesse Newell talk about the NIL legislation, and how college athletes are ‘bout to get paaaiiiddd. They look at how we got here, and how it can impact college athletics. Give it a listen.. even if Jesse never voted for Missouri in the T-25, haha.
- Okayyyy, Sean.
- The new 2022 Rivals rankings are out, and Mr. Matthew J Harris updates us on where we may find Mizzou targets.
— Matt Harris (@MattJHarris85) May 27, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- It should come as no surprise that Mizzou Baseball is going to see some changes in the offseason. First up? Steve Bieser will be looking for a new pitching coach after Fred Corral was relieved of his duties, according to this article by Dave Matter.
- Welcome, Coach Stoots! Andy, who joins the Tigers from Louisville where he served as an assistant for five years, previously coached at Minnesota with new coach Stefanie Golan, according to Missourian Staff reports. You can also check out the press release at MUTigers.com.
Mizzou Soccer Announces Hiring of Associate Head Coach Andy Stoots
— Mizzou Soccer (@MizzouSoccer) May 27, 2021
- Way to go, Skylar! She became Mizzou’s first track team member to punch her ticket to next month’s NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon. The Missourian Staff wrapped up the team performances on Day Two of the West Preliminary here,
— Mizzou Track & Field (@MizzouTFXC) May 27, 2021
Mizzou in the WNBA/NBA
- The Nuggets returned to the court for Game 3 and won 120-115 in Portland, and I had to subscribe to NBA TV for a month and stay up hella late to watch it… (mutters about how dumb it is to have play off games on a platform most people can’t watch). How did Michael Porter, Jr fare against Dame and the Blazers? 35 minutes, 15 points on 5-11 shooting (3-5 from three), 2-3 FT, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, +14 (best on team).
- Jordan Clarkson’s stat line from Wednesday’s 141-129 win over Memphis: 22 minutes, 16 points on 4-11 shooting (1-6 from three), 7-7 FT, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, +16 (this is GREAT for him, as he’s normally in the negative here)
- Sarah Todd of the Deseret News wrote a nice piece about how JC accepted a role he never wanted by coming off the bench, and then turned that into the Sixth Man of the Year.
- Dave Matter wrote that 15 years after being fired from Mizzou, Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder’s redemption is paved in NBA wins. Getting fired from Mizzou, Matter reasoned, might be the best thing for his career.
- Sophie Cunningham and the Diana Taurasi-less Mercury faced off against the Las Vegas Aces on Wednesday evening, losing 85-79. Soph played 16 minutes, and was scoreless in her two shot attempts, but did record two rebounds and a steal. She was +9 on the night.
If you’re interested in checking out the W this year, you can get a league pass for $17 for the entire season after a 7-day trial at wnba.com. What a deal!
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)