Mizzou News for Wednesday, June 30
86 Missouri Tigers on the SEC First Year Honor Roll?!?
Represented by 15 sports? We’ll take it.
According to the press release at MUTigers.com, the Baseball program had the most recipients with 15, while the men’s track & field team had 12 eight honorees and the football team had 11. How did one make this list, you ask? Well, according to the SEC, “First year student-athletes in all sports may be named to the Honor Roll at the conclusion of their first full academic year in residence (spring, fall and summer terms).” They must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for two semesters (three if they participated in summer school) or a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
Some recognizable names showed up on the list: Hoops’ Drew Buggs & Lauren Hansen (though they’re both transfers, their Mizzou grades for the one year here make them eligible), freshman hooper Mama Dembele, Football’s Keke Chism, Brady Cook, Michael Maietti, Grant McKinniss, “The Thiccer Kicker” Harrison Mevis, Ennis Rakestraw, Jr and Elijah Young, Tennis’ Bronte Murgett, and Volleyball’s Anna Dixon.
(You can see the full list at MUTigers.com, along with a list of their majors, which I find super interesting)
Here’s what the team social media accounts had to say:
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) June 29, 2021
More than just an athlete books comes first‼️ https://t.co/1ShEdeF43X
— Ennis Rakestraw Jr (@EnnisRakestraw) June 29, 2021
— Mizzou Gymnastics (@MizzouGym) June 29, 2021
Onto the Links! Congrats to all of Mizzou’s STUDENT-Athletes who made this list!
Yesterday at Rock M
- Nate the Great previewed the Vandy game, which should be a win for us given their ineptitude on the football field (or so Nate says)
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Over the weekend, Sam looked at the 2022 hoops recruiting board, and asked if it was shifting.
- COMING UP: The “Team USA” Linebacker is awarded. Who will win?
- STL TODAY: In the new Eye on the Tigers podcast, Ben Fred and Dave discussed whether Mizzou might have a new dynamic duo in Mookie (Cooper, football) and Boogie (Coleman, men’s hoops).
- TRUMANS TALES: The site’s football previews continue, and next up is Kentucky. And since we all were wondering who the newbies are, Kyle Long also briefly dove into each member of the new (and improved?) Mizzou Men’s Hoops team.
- Ahead of the 2021 season, the Sporting News ranked the top 130 college football coaches. Where did Drink fall? No. 33! Ahead of him in the list? Some questionable figures…. HUGH FREEZE? Ew.
- Over the weekend, Drink’s players helped out at Habitat for Humanity, which was great to see.
Tremendous work being done by Show-Me Central Habitat for Humanity! We’re proud to be part of it!
— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) June 26, 2021
- Gerald Nathan, Jr. announced on Twitter his intention to transfer, much to my dismay. While he didn’t record a lot of stats in his two years, I knew a lot about him: 1) he went to the same Charlotte HS one of my former swimmers teaches at, and she was his history teacher, 2) his older sister worked with me for a year+ and was a delight, and 3) his family owns that AWESOME soul food restaurant in town, South Florida Style Chicken & Ribs, and I hope they’re not leaving just because he is (though that is the reason they moved to MO). Gerald, best of luck! (More news of his transfer from SDS’s Adam Spencer here)
First I would like to thank God for allowing me to play this sport I know and love.
Thanks to the Missouri staff, fans and most importantly my MIZZOU brothers for embracing me with open arms.
I have decided to enter the transfer portal and open back up my recruitment. pic.twitter.com/X7MAAA6RxY
— I am Gerald Nathan Jr. G16™ † (@geraldnathanjr) June 29, 2021
- Hoops alum Jarrett Sutton joined the KTRS Big Sports Show to chat about a number of topics, including Mizzou Hoops towards the end. Check it out!
- AB always looks like she’s having a GREAT time.
— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouWBB) June 28, 2021
Other Mizzou Sports
- This is super cool. Go vote for our Tigers in the KC Honorary ESPYs!
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) June 29, 2021
- The SEC revealed its 2021-22 executive committee and Sarah Reesman, who currently serves as the Senior Deputy Athletics Director, Chief Operating Officer, and senior woman administrator for Mizzou Athletics, will be a part of it, according to the Missourian’s Emma Eaton. (more info at MUTigers.com)
- Kyle Jones wrote about how it’s time for Tiger Baseball to catch up to Mizzou Athletics, which is on the brink of its golden age.
- Welcome, Connor! The Missourian’s Nate Marcus reported that former UCM pitcher Connor Dryer has committed to Steve Bieser’s squad. After pitching three seasons out of the ‘pen for UCM, he joined their rotation in the spring, and had a 7-2 record to go along with a 3.89 ERA.
- ABC17’s Nathalie Jones sat down with new Tigers pitching coach Brian DeLunas on Sunday. Check it out!
Check out my conversation with Mizzou’s new pitching coach, Brian DeLunas ⤵️https://t.co/5XexVNLL1M
— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieABC17) June 28, 2021
Mizzou in the Pros/Mizzou in the Olympics
- Three Mizzou alums will participate in the 2021 Olympics! Congrats to Karissa, and swimmers Mikel Schreuders (representing Aruba) and Fabien Schwingenschlögl (representing Germany) <— hey, I wrote about this guy in our Best of series in 2020.
- Happiest of birthdays to Michael Porter, Jr, who turned 23 on Tuesday and celebrated his Jordan Year in CoMo.
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) June 29, 2021
- A remarkably efficient 23 year old that MPJ is….
Mike just had the second most efficient 19+ PPG season in NBA history.
— Denver Nuggets (@nuggets) June 29, 2021
- SOPH! The Mercury live-tweeted their practice on Tuesday, and asked fans what they wanted to see. They asked for Sophie, so they got Sophie!
— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) June 29, 2021
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earncommissions for products purchased via affiliate nks.**)