While Karen focuses on anything but… the rest of the media focuses on that… collective stuff. Here’s Mizzou Links for Friday, June 10
While Everyone Talks Collectives, Karen Talks J School Collabs
As I mentioned in my post yesterday afternoon, it was a momentous day for Mizzou Athletics after Gov. Mike Parson signed an amendment of SB 718, the NIL bill that will allow Missouri colleges to help their student athletes with their name, image, and likeness deals.
Coaches from @MizzouFootball and @MizzouHoops are here, but also @LUBlueTigers president for SB 718. This bill creates a week recognizing HBCUs, workforce diplomas, dual credit opportunities & name image likeness. #moleg #NIL #mogov pic.twitter.com/TZa4oGHCCA
— Hannah Falcon ABC 17 (@HannahFalconTV) June 16, 2022
Now, schools like Mizzou can officially provide some sort of assistance to student-athletes in terms of facilitating NIL deals, and student-athletes can officially profit off of say, customized jersey sales, or Topps trading cards. Love this for them.
I also love THIS for them (from my post):
The University has also unveiled a new partnership between athletics, the Missouri School of Journalism, School of Law, Trulaske College of Business and Griggs Innovators Nexus which “will be a foundational piece of the Mizzou’s NIL program moving forward.” The first event in the newly-created CEO Program, which will be held in mid-July, will be a three-day program for Mizzou’s student athletes where they’ll learn – among other things – about social media training, understanding the algorithm, content creation (how to tell your story), marketing strategies, entrepreneurship, the art of negotiations and understanding contracts. This is just the beginning, as in the future, they’ll continue to collaborate on experiential learning opportunities for student-athletes.
But the local media wasn’t particularly focused on this aspect (in all fairness, I had far more info about this than they did), and instead focused on that whole collective/money thing.
Sorry, it might just be me, but I just find something really unsavory about the whole “collective” thing. How do you know where the money is going? And allotting it only to the tippity-top to get recruits is just… not my favorite. I strongly feel that all athletes should be able to benefit from this, and that’s why the new partnership part of this has really captured my attention. Let’s help them ALL get that bag through education.
Regardless of whether or not I love the former Mizzou athletes – L Bo and Larry Budweiser Sasser – who are a part of Advancing Missouri Athletes (AMA), it’s just not for me. However, I seem to be in the minority here…
On to the links!
Side Note: Congrats to the Warriors. I’m a huge Steve Kerr fan – please run for office – and I root for Klay for all he’s been through these last few years. And I’m an even bigger Steph “Chef” Curry fan (from way back in his Davidson College days — he is the nicest guy), but man, I wanted this for the Celtics and StL native Jayson Tatum and my guy & Zo’s guy, Jaylen Brown(ie). An additional congrats goes to Missouri’s own Otto Porter, Jr. But also, I give no congrats to you, unnamed kU player (you know who it is).
Yesterday at Rock M:
- I wrote about the new NIL bill amendment, and how it relates to my beloved place of employment. Please read; they’ve got some really good ideas.
- Aaron continued his ‘Build a Player’ series, this time focusing on the offensive line.
- A new BTBS hit your ear holes, where BK and Nate are just really confused about what Drink is doing with this roster. Nate even swears, you guys.
Other Mizzou Sports
- Catch up on Mizzou stuff with Dave Matter’s new chat at STL Today. (subscribers)
- In the weight room:
- It’s always great to see Mizzou guys tearing it up in the offseason playing summer/fall ball.
Mizzou Hoops received its Big 12/SEC Challenge opponent, which will take place in CoMo on January 28. Welcome to the Iowa State Cyclones, a familiar opponent, as they faced them just last year (and lost). Read more at MUTigers.com and the KC Star.
Got a date on the books. #MIZ
— Mizzou Hoops (@MizzouHoops) June 16, 2022
- Hey, fellas!
- CJ Moore and Eamonn Brennan of the The Athletic ($$) wrote, For college centers unwanted by the NBA, NIL opens a path for staying in school.
Former Mizzou Sports Stars/Regional Sports Stuff
- Great for KCMO! FIFA selects Kansas City among 16 host nations for 2026 World Cup, per the KC Star and Missourian.
The 2026 FIFA World Cup is coming to Missouri, as Kansas City will OFFICIALLY be one of the host cities.
Lt. Governor Mike Kehoe told me how huge of an economic impact this is going to have on the state ⤵️
“It’s like having five or six Super Bowls in a 30 day period.” pic.twitter.com/hTYMZmb5xN
— Nathalie Jones (@NathalieJonesTV) June 16, 2022
- According to the Missourian’s reports, Memphis is hiring former Mizzou head baseball coach Tim Jamieson.
- According to the Missourian’s staff wire, former MU standout Hayden Buckley is tied 7th at the U.S. Open, trailing Hadwin’s lead by two
- Per the Columbia Tribune’s Chris Kwiecinski, 16 years after Mizzou, how Quin Snyder’s Utah Jazz tenure highlighted his biggest strength.
— — — — — — — — — — — — —
If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)