Mizzou Links for Wednesday, June 22
Some Mizzou radio listening.
Well, there was basically no significant Mizzou news to break down that happened on Tuesday. Welcome to the Mizzou sports offseason. In some cases, however — no news is good news.
But how about a radio segment to listen to for some #content?
STLToday’s Dave Matter joined Brendan Wiese on The Big 550 KTRS last night to discuss Missouri’s NIL bill approved and how it affects Mizzou, his expectations for Isiaih Mosley next season, and even some Big 12 conversation when Texas and Oklahoma leave the conference.
On the NIL collective impacting in-state recruiting for Mizzou in the future:
“That should really be part of the focus here if you’re Eli Drinkwitz because those players, those recruits like a Luther Burden, like an Isaac Thompson from Saint Louis U High, their name recognition resonates far greater in the state of Missouri and in the St. Louis market than it does any of these national programs. That has to be an advantage for Missouri, they have to make it an advantage.”
On Isiaih Mosley transition to the SEC:
“I still think there’s a little bit you got to prove you can do it night in, night out against Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee. He’s shown the ability to be a really, really good mid-major player and now he’s got to kick it up a gear against better caliber of athletes, a little more depth and star power that you’ll see in the SEC. But, the things that he can do I think can translate better than maybe some other transfers in other programs can do. He can just shoot, he’s a natural scorer, natural shooter and that tends to translate a little bit more than just athleticism.”
Always a good listen when Matter talks Mizzou on St. Louis radio, and you can listen to the full segment here.
And in some really tragic news, former Purdue Basketball star Caleb Swanigan passed away yesterday at the age of 25.
Matter mentioned somewhat of a Mizzou connection, as Swanigan was high school teammates with former Missouri point guard Jordan Geist.
Caleb Swanigan’s name came up once early in Cuonzo Martin’s time at Missouri. (Both played at Purdue). Caleb played with former MU guard Jordan Geist in HS, and when Martin took the job, Caleb texted him, “You’ve got a killer in Geist.”
Swanigan just 25 years old. RIP
— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) June 21, 2022
Fly high 50. Thanks for always believing in me ❤️ https://t.co/WdsKazpgIq
— jordan geist (@jordangeist12) June 21, 2022
Rest In Peace, Caleb.
Onto the links. MIZ.
Yesterday at Rock M
- From Jack Knowlton: Reed-Francois reflects on Title IX’s legacy with the National Archives Foundation
- From PowerMizzou’s Mitchell Forde: Mizzou in early on junior college wing Keyondre Young
- Tilly on Apple Podcasts! Jeremiah Tilmon joined The Honey Drop host Andrew Damelin to discuss his journey to the Hamilton Honey Badgers, growing up in East St. Louis, and his career at Mizzou. Definitely give it a listen!
- From the NCAA: D1 Transformation Committee forwards initial recommendations to D1 board
- From Instagram, get a chance to meet Luther Burden on Friday from 4-6 at the Mercedez-Benz of Columbia.
- Bat signal from Larissa Anderson…..but the commitment is still to be determined. Stay tuned!
- Two former Mizzou quarterbacks (Connor Bazelak and Taylor Powell) will be participating in the Manning Passing Challenge
Here are the college quarterbacks participating in the Manning Passing Challenge this year
Some good prospects among them pic.twitter.com/T3W2GDD9P9
— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) June 21, 2022
- DRF making calls to former Mizzou Football season ticket holders. Love to see it! (But a flip phone?)
— DR_Francois (@DRFrancois1) June 21, 2022
- Pics from practice!
- Check out Tyler Badie!
This route from Tyler Badie pic.twitter.com/Ma8qCrMP86
— Kevin Oestreicher (@koestreicher34) June 20, 2022
- Mizzou Softball SS Jenna Laird comes in at No. 81 here on D1Softball’s D150 Player Rankings for next season.
— D1Softball (@D1Softball) June 20, 2022
- Here’s a look at Mizzou’s non-conference schedule so far. Not a lot of games yet, but what do you want to see?
Last week I discussed the potential Non-Con slate. Currently have games with:
What other teams would you like to see round it out?
— Order On The Court (@DataMizzou) June 21, 2022
- Good to see Dennis Gates with Ben Arnet. Tune into KOMU for the full interview on Sunday!
— Ben Arnet (@BenArnetKOMU) June 21, 2022
- From Victory Bell Rings on FanSided, they released NCAA Wrestling Pre-Season Power Rankings and the Top 5 does NOT include Missouri? Disrespect!
- If you’re looking to sign up for ESPN+, Rock M Nation now has an affiliate link: click Here for ESPN+ Now!
- If you’re looking to sign up for a new streaming service, you can try FuboTV: click HERE for FuboTV access — FuboTV now has ESPN, CBS, FS1 and more sports channels.
(** RockMNation has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though RockMNation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.**)